Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Creative Life: Tori Higa Stationery

This is for those of you who've emailed recently inquiring about some of the inspiration behind designs of the "stationery" Designing Moms. Capturing sentiments within 4x6 windows calls for a certain balance between all out whimsy and restraint. And Tori's beautiful work always seems to possess the right combination of the two.


by Designing Mom Tori

On my handmade baby and motherhood line:
I was inspired to design this collection because I wanted to celebrate motherhood (specifically for new moms and moms-to-be). I know that I always want to send a pregnancy card or a new mom card to friends because it is such a fun and unique time in life. I also wanted to design traditional motifs for a new baby that have a vintage yet fashionable twist. All of my handmade cards are inspired by the vintage fabric that I collect. Sometimes I see a pattern and just know that it needs to turn into a greeting card accent.

Inspiration for baby announcements on Cardstore.com:
For the last several years I have been designing greeting cards that are handmade with vintage fabric embellishments. So I was inspired to try to bring some of those elements into my photocards for Cardstore.com. I drew inspiration from textile designs, cross stitch, and sewing. I also liked the theme that all children are gifts and sent from above. I tried to portray those sentiments as well. And lastly, I tried to design things that I personally would want to send to friends and family when we announce our next little bundle of joy.

4 comments:

anne p. said...

I love the ones with the cheerful moms. They have such "happy" bumps!!

Tiffany Chan said...

I love your baby line Tori, those pink and blue 'Special Delivery' cards are two of my favorite designs!

Our Designing Moms said...

Tori,I can't get over how cute the card with the mom and swaddle is!

Tori Higa said...

awe, thanks, guys... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails