Monday, March 2, 2009

Designing Moms: Meet April

April not only has an exquisite eye for detail as seen in her beautiful jewelry, but a vision that encompasses a gallery of artists who echo her personal passions and work. What a dream to also be able to live and work in your studio! I feel lucky that April and I got a chance to meet one day (she purchased a wool zip top bag to help display her jewelry) and cannot wait to read more of her work and life!


Name: April

About: I am a hopeful soon-to-be-mother through adoption. When I searched my heart, adoption seemed the right path to become a mother. My husband and I are awaiting news on a referral from Central Asia for a baby girl. It has been a long road and International Adoption is very unpredictable. But we have faith that the right little one will come to us.




Work and Play: Berkeley & San Francisco
I lived in San Francisco for 18 years and then bought a wonderfully creative building in Berkeley in 2005 which is the umbrella for my home, my jewelers studio, my husband's sculpture & public art office & last but not least my gallery. My dream is that our new space allows me to have my career and also be a mom.

What I do:
I am a Jeweler, who owns a gallery: Shibumi Gallery which features Contemporary Art Jewelry, Sculpture and by event Ocelot Clothing.
I also do design consultation, my specialty is artwork and object placement and making a space feel harmonious. I love it when things are considered!


What inspires my design: Nature is always inspirational. I love organic shapes, subtle beauty, Japanese influence. I have also been inspired by traveling and I love visiting any country who people works with their hands or has colorful dress. Randomness and balance are two qualities I play with in my work and challenge my eye.


What's my day in the life like: I wake up every day with my two Siamese beauties and my husband in bed. Since we live in a live-work space, two things I love in the morning: coffee out & a walk by the bay. The rest of my day can range from seeing clients in the gallery, enameling and creating in my studio, communicating, organizing & blogging on computer, looking for interesting new stones and trying to be a good business woman all at once.

And now to fit in my future "baby o"! Luckily I have a few really wonderful people who work with me at Shibumi and I am slowly learning to delegate to newer fresher talent! I'm taking it seriously and know I need room to be a mom.


I'm so appreciative to have a creative group to turn to when I need like minded folks around for inspiration and company. I also hope we inspire other mothers to keep in touch of their creativity in their lives.

5 comments:

Our Designing Moms said...

Welcome April! Without fail, whenever I see pics of your studio I drool :).

Anonymous said...

I just took a look at your gallery/work and it is divine. Look forward to reading about Baby O.

jackie said...

Glad to have another east bay mama as part of this wonderful group!

April Higashi said...

Looking forward to this!
And all of you.

Drooling is good! Come on over....

lotta said...

Your work is beautiful. I look forward to getting to know you here. Best of luck with the adoption.

Related Posts with Thumbnails