Thursday, May 14, 2009

Make: Freezer Paper Stencils

by Designing Mom Jackie

For the past year, my friend Lisa has been organizing a monthly craft night at her house. This month, we decided to rotate houses so I volunteered to play hostess. I suggested we try a freezer paper stencil project that I had read about on Katie's blog. I am pleased to report it was a huge hit! Super easy, super fun, and super fast. I am completely addicted to this now, and find myself wanting to stencil everything in site. My husband is a little concerned. He is hiding his socks as I type this.

Supply list:

  • Image(s) that you want to stencil
  • T-shirts, tote bag, tea towels or anything else you want to stencil onto
  • Fabric paint
  • Paint brush
  • X-Acto knife
  • Freezer paper
  • Iron

Instructions:

  1. Find an image you want to use as a stencil. There are plenty of websites with free stencils or you can use an image from a book. My advice is to keep it simple when you are starting out.
  2. Lay it on the freezer paper (waxy side down!) onto a cutting mat and use an exacto knife to cut out your design (cutting it out of both the paper and the freezer paper).
  3. Take the freezer paper and iron it onto your t-shirt or fabric.
  4. Paint over the stencil with washable fabric paint (available in a zillion colors).
  5. Wait a bit until the paint is dry, and then peel of the freezer paper.
  6. Voila! You’re done.

Let the addiction begin…

2 comments:

Melissa said...

love the idea of a monthly craft night!

this sounds deceptively easy...I'm fascinated - I think I'll try on some dinner napkins first.

Thanks Jackie!

roller shoes said...

nice post,thank you for shar

Related Posts with Thumbnails