Thursday, February 4, 2010

Make: Mirror Makeover

by Designing Moms Contributor Laina
above: the mirror reflecting floral treatment, but it would be fun
to lay funky wallpaper over an old mirror as well!

To add a bit more light in my daughter's bedroom, I decided to makeover an old mirror my mom had passed along to me back when I was in college. The brassy color seemed way too grown up (and, really, in need of cheering up) so I opted for a glossy white that seems to be 'the color' in every DIY paint project lately. I found the ribbon from The Ribbonerie, a lovely shop on Sacramento Street in San Francisco. After sanding and painting the frame of the mirror, I attached a 2 foot length of ribbon to the back of the mirror using a staple gun. I used an additional yard and a half of ribbon to make my bow and just a small bit and a button making kit to finish it off. The mirror hangs from the original wire vs. actually from the ribbon.


2 comments:

Diana said...

I have a box of potential frame makeovers. My idea was to paint and use them for my art. Thanks for the motivation!

CraftCrave said...

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [08 Feb 04:00pm GMT]).

Related Posts with Thumbnails